Sunday, February 8, 2009

Monkey Temple

MONKEYS!

We got to go to the Monkey temple outside of Jaipur on a festival day (two weeks ago), so the locals were all there celebrating and handing nuts, dried chickpeas, carrots, and bananas to the monkeys. We didn't hand out any food. For one, we are afraid of rabies, but also there was so much food the monkeys were just sitting around looking bloated.

They have this crazy belief here that holy water is always clean and it's good to bathe in. This water was putrid. Beyond disgusting. I can only imagine the wealth of the local dermatologists.

Apparently when it's really hot in the summer the monkeys will climb up the walls of the temple and cannonball into the small pools near the top. We always come to these attractions at the wrong times.

That is a fully grown cow with tiny little legs. I've seen a couple of these. There was also a cow with a third ear growing out of his neck, but there was a guy trying to make money off of it and I'm tired of trying to bargain with people who think I am made from solid gold.

Our driver gave us bhindi dots when we got in, and then little old ladies chased us around trying to add to it. I'm so used to people trying to scam me that I just bolt whenever someone tries to make eye contact, but one of them caught Derek and was apparently just wanting to give us a little more colour.

No comments: