Sunday, March 1, 2009

Illness!

Derek caught some bug yesterday, leaving me to wander around the town by myself. It's so different here then it was in the north, I'm the only white person around, and NOBODY CARES. I love it. I picked up a large dinner for the two of us with desert for 3 dollars. I was getting really worried last night, Derek felt like a radiator, but was shivering and complaining of being too cold. Then a few hours later his fever broke and he was all clammy, now he's almost fine. Who knows what that was, probably food related. I was worried I'd have to bundle him onto our 42 hour train ride all fever-dreaming.

We're in Munnar right now, surrounded by tea plantations and spice farms. It's lovely here. A month ago I was all GOD why won't this end, but now I don't want to go home. Of course. We're heading to Mumbai on the 4th to do some shopping, then a week in South Korea annoying Courtney before heading home so Derek can go to a bachelor party in Montreal and I can send him angry text messages every few hours.

There's a shop nearby that sells spices and homemade chocolate (of questionable quality), and their halwa is AMAZING. It's like a large block of jujube-jelly full of figs and nuts and every spice in the store. Also it's 30 cents for 100 grams.

We saw this painting for sale in Kochi. They wanted about 600 dollars for it. I'm tempted to go back and try to bargain them down, this is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Mouki said...

hahahahahaahahaha! That painting!!!!