Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Gold Museum in Bogota

We went to the Gold Museum on Sunday (free on Sunday! But English tour groups during the week), and I have to say, I was impressed. I've been to a lot of museums and my tolerance for bad ones has gotten pretty low. Unless you are so bad that you've hung rotting stinky whale bones in the foyer, at which point you've crossed right over to awesome. (and smelly)

It's all about the indigenous people of Colombia. There is a lot of gold in the mountains and rivers here, this is where El Dorado was supposed to be, so they have room after room of ancient gold jewelry and sculptures, as well as pottery and a dead guy in a sack. A lot of it is quite artistically inspiring, they could do some crazy things with pots.

1 comment:

Zebra said...

I just randomly came across your blog and really enjoyed reading through it!
I heard this was a great museum, but wasn't all that excited about it. Wow, was I wrong. This museum was modern and first class. The incredible amount of history and breadth of artifacts on display was just amazing. We also liked how it was educational, but didn't bombard you with information either. Highly recommended.

Josefina - Colombia Travel